- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1 packet (1 ounce) Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 3½ pounds white button mushrooms sliced in half
- 4 cloves garlic smashed
- 6 thyme sprigs leaves stripped from the stem
- 6 small fennel bulbs stalks removed, sliced into thin wedges
- extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread mushrooms, onion, fennel, garlic and thyme on large sheet tray or nonstick roasting dish.
Sprinkle pieces of butter evenly over vegetables; drizzle liberally with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; roast 25–30 minutes. Mushrooms and fennel should be tender and slightly caramelized when done.
Remove tray from oven and transfer all ingredients (including pan juices) to large pot. Add chicken stock and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and puree until completely smooth using handheld or regular blender. Stir in heavy cream; simmer gently for additional 5 minutes. Taste; adjust salt and pepper.
While soup simmers, in small mixing bowl combine dressing mix, sour cream and chopped chives. To serve, ladle soup into soup bowls and garnish each serving with ranch sour cream and chives.
• For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA
• For dips, make and enjoy your dip creation. Then, refrigerate within 2 hours or discard.