Prep: 20 m | Cook: 50 m
Sweet Potato, Carrot, Apple and Red Lentil Soup
- Prep 20 m
- Cook 50 m
- Total 1 h 10 m
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled, chopped
- 3 large carrots peeled, chopped
- 1 apple peeled, cored, chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- ½ cup red lentils
- ½ teaspoon minced, fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Light Dressing
- 1. Melt the butter in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Place the chopped sweet potatoes, carrots, apple, and onion in the pot. Stir and cook the apples and vegetables until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir the lentils, ginger, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and vegetable broth into the pot with the apple and vegetable mixture. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the lentils and vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Working in batches, pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot.
- 4. Return the pureed soup to the cooking pot. Bring back to a simmer over medium-high heat, about 10 minutes. Add water as needed to thin the soup to your preferred consistency. Serve with light dressing for garnish.
• For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
• For dips, make and enjoy your dip creation. Then, refrigerate within 2 hours or discard.