Classic Shepherds Pie with a Potato and Buttermilk Crust
- Prep 20 m
- Cook 40 m
- Total 1 h
- 2 pounds russet or Idaho potatoes peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion peeled, chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled, chopped
- 1 pound ground lamb or turkey
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2. In a large pot, cook the potatoes in enough lightly salted boiling water to cover for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain the potatoes.
- 3. In a large bowl, mash the potatoes together with the dressing until smooth and set aside.
- 4. In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat the oil and add the onion and carrots, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the onions have wilted slightly.
- 5. Add the meat to the onion mixture. Season the meat with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes, breaking up any clumps with a wooden spatula, until the meat is nicely browned.
- 6. Drain the fat from the meat mixture and stir in the cornstarch mixed with cold water, peas, broth and tomato paste. Stir until well mixed.
- 7. Pour the mixture into a 1½-quart baking dish.
- 8. Spread the potatoes evenly over the meat mixture. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- 9. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until golden.
• For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
• For dips, make and enjoy your dip creation. Then, refrigerate within 2 hours or discard.