Grilled Sweet & Spicy Pickles
- Prep 30 m
- Cook 6 m
- Total 36 m
- 1 cup sugar
- 1¼ cup water
- 1¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled, cut into 8 wedges
- 10 small, (Kirby or Persian*) cucumbers about 4 to 5 inches each, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic peeled, finely minced
- 3 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 6 sprigs fresh dill
- ½ cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
- 1. Preheat the grill and build a charcoal fire for direct grilling.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine the pickling liquid ingredients: vinegar, water, sugar and salt; and cook, stirring often, over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the liquid is clear. Remove the liquid from the heat and let cool slightly.
- 3. Wash cucumbers well with cold water. Trim the blossom ends and grill the cucumbers over direct heat for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or just long enough to mark each side.
- 4. Grill the onions for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until the onions have softened and are marked.
- 5. Remove the cucumbers and onions from the grill and set aside to cool.
- 6. Divide the cucumbers, onions, dill, garlic and pepper flakes evenly and place in three sterilized canning jars. Fill each jar to the top with the pickling liquid mixture and seal tightly. Cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
- 7. Serve with Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing for dipping.
- 8. *Pickling cucumbers found in most grocery stores
• For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
• For dips, make and enjoy your dip creation. Then, refrigerate within 2 hours or discard.