Easy Homemade Fish Sticks with Spring Salad
Suzy Karadsheh of The Mediterranean Dish
- Prep 10 m
- Cook 20 m
- Total 30 m
For Homemade Fish Sticks:
- 1 lb. cod fillet, or another firm white fish fillet
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 1/3 dry packet Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1½ cups panko breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- lemon or lime wedges, to serve
For the Spring Salad:
- 5 oz. package spring salad mix
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced
- ½ English or hothouse cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup steamed, shelled edamame
- ¼ cup salted cashews
- ½ cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® dressing
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2. Pat the fish fillets dry and season lightly with salt and pepper. Now slice the fish into sticks (about 1 inch by 3 inches each).
- 3. In a rimmed dish, mix the all-purpose flour with the sesame seeds (optional) and the Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing & Seasoning Mix.
- 4. In a bowl, whisk the egg with the water to make an egg wash. Place the panko in another rimmed dish next to the egg wash.
- 5. Dredge a fish stick in the flour and Hidden Valley® seasoning mixture; shake it lightly to remove excess. Next, dip the fish stick in the egg wash, then the panko breadcrumbs. Press gently so that the panko will hold. Repeat with all the fish sticks.
- 6. Place a lightly oiled cooling rack on a baking pan. Assemble the fish sticks on top of the cooling rack and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the 400°F oven for 15–20 minutes, or until the fish sticks are baked through. For extra crunch and color, transfer the fish sticks to the top rack and broil very briefly (watch carefully).
- 7. While the fish sticks are baking, mix the salad ingredients in a bowl.
- 8. When ready, transfer the salad to serving bowls or plates and top with the baked fish sticks.
- 9. Serve with lemon wedges and Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing.
• For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.