String Bean Casserole Salad
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup French-fried onions (recommended French’s®)
- ¼ cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
- 1 pound green beans trimmed, cut into thirds
- 1 red bell pepper seeded, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1. Fill up a large bowl with water and a few handfuls of ice, set aside.
- 2. Bring a large pot of water to a roiling boil. Add a heavy pinch of salt, the green beans and the bell peppers. Stir to dissolve the salt and cook the vegetables until bright and still crisp, just a few minutes.
- 3. With a sieve or slotted spoon, move the vegetable to the bowl of ice water to stop them from over cooking.
- 4. Once the vegetables are cooled remove them to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and pat dry.
- 5. To prepare the mushrooms: In a small saucepot on medium heat add 2 cups of water, vinegar, mushrooms, garlic, thyme and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir to dissolve the salt, cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- 6. Turn off the heat and let it rest covered for 15 minutes more.
- 7. Shake the excess liquid off the mushrooms and add them to a large bowl along with the cooked vegetables and the Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing.
- 8. Toss and serve with fried onions sprinkled over the top.
- For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.
- For dips, make and enjoy your dip creation. Then, refrigerate within 2 hours or discard.