Zesty Grilled Asparagus and Lemon Orzo
- 1½ cups orzo (a short-grain pasta)
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- ½ packet Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- extra lemon slices for garnish, optional
- Note: You will be using 4 skewers. Add 15 minutes to prep time if using wood skewers.
- 1. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 15 minutes before using so they do not burn when placed on the grill.
- 2. Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil.
- 3. Once water comes to a boil place the orzo pasta in the pot and cook according to package instructions for al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- 4. Preheat grill to medium high.
- 5. Take an asparagus spear and hold the asparagus on both ends. Snap the stalk end and discard the stalk. Place the spear next to the rest of the asparagus and cut off the rest of the spears at the same spot so they are all the same length.
- 6. In a bowl, combine ¼ cup olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, and half of a packet of Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix.
- 7. Place the cherry tomatoes on a skewers and set aside.
- 8. Place the asparagus into the bowl and toss in the olive oil mixture.
- 9. Remove the asparagus from the bowl and place the asparagus and the cherry tomato skewers on the grill. Grill for 4 minutes per side, careful to turn the asparagus so they do not fall between grill grates. Reserve remaining olive oil mixture in the bowl.
- 10. Add additional 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the bowl with the remaining marinade mixture. Add the cooked orzo into the bowl.
- 11. Remove the cherry tomatoes from the skewers and add to the orzo, careful not to “pop” the tomatoes.
- 12. Remove the asparagus and cut in half. Add to the orzo.
- 13. Add parsley and toss everything with a fork.
- 14. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Optional, garnish with lemon slices.
- For safe meat preparation, reference the USDA website.